Hike, bonfire, wassail, more to mark sunset solstice celebration | Arts & Culture
Aldo Leopold Nature Center hosts family night on Dec. 21
Monona’s Aldo Leopold Nature Center has a family-friendly celebration planned for late December to celebrate the longest night of the year, the winter solstice. Highlights of the Nov. 21 event include an evening hike, a wassail, ceremonial yule log burn, snacks and storytelling. The evening will run from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Cultures around the globe throughout history have celebrated the winter solstice as a time to reflect on the past year and look with hope to the coming year.
The solstice celebration will include:
- A naturalist-led twilight hike on ALNC’s trails
- A festive bonfire and ceremonial burning of the Yule log
- Wassail made over a fire in the Children's Shack
- Hot cocoa and seasonal snacks
- Nature crafts for the kids including a fun and functional pinecone birdfeeder
- Inspirational winter solstice stories from around the globe
The cost for the evening is $6 for ALNC members (or $20 family) and $7 ($25 family) for non-members.
Visit the ALNC website for more information or call 608-216-9374.
The Aldo Leopold Nature Center is located at 330 Femrite Drive in Monona.
Upcoming Events near Madison Far East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIAA sectional semi final boys basketball: Sun Prairie, Mount Horeb advance
- DOJ: Man who supplied teen with heroin gets 10 years prison
- Planning committee votes to support Ashley Field, awaits board input
- Organization to hold school board candidate forum
- Police: Failing to stop for school buses to result in fines, demerits