Senator to talk with seniors on mining bill | Business
Democrat will discuss issues on the controversial legislation at forum
The Madison Senior Center downtown will host a presentation with Senator Tim Cullen in mid-February on mining legislation.
Cullen, D-Janesville, will talk about mining issues and take questions on Feb. 11 at 9 a.m. in a political forum at the center.
As part of a Senate committee on mining, Cullen heard testimony from experts and people affected by the proposal to mine iron ore in Northern Wisconsin. He drafted a bill to permit mining without changing environmental protections.
A competing bill drafted by Senate and Assembly Republicans and introduced in mid-January differs from Cullen's bill in the length of permit deadlines, public hearing requirements and environmental changes.
There is no charge to attend the forum. The center said coffee and treats will be served at 9 a.m. and the program at 9:15.
The Madison Senior Center is at 330 West Mifflin St. Call the center at 266-6581 for more information.
Upcoming Events near Madison Far East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIAA sectional semi final boys basketball: Sun Prairie, Mount Horeb advance
- DOJ: Man who supplied teen with heroin gets 10 years prison
- Planning committee votes to support Ashley Field, awaits board input
- Organization to hold school board candidate forum
- Police: Failing to stop for school buses to result in fines, demerits