Police: Drunken driver hits building, knocks over hydrant | News
A Madison man was arrested after crashing into an east side building and knocking over a fire hydrant Thursday morning, officials said.
The man drove a van into a building at 217 Cottage Grove Road that houses two businesses, Buck?s Pizza and Hoey Apothecary, around 11:30 a.m., according to the release. He hit the building twice, once on the side of the pizza parlor and a second time on the side of Hoey Apothecary.
Officials said the driver, LaVerne R. Coffey, 50, of Madison, then sped off, knocking over a fire hydrant at the corner of Clover Lane and Sargent Street.
Witnesses provided police with a very good description of the van that was spotted pulling into the Madison East Shopping Center off of Hermina Street, according to the release.
Coffey?s vehicle hopped a curb and nearly hit two cars before stopping near a pharmacy, officials said. His blew a .27 percent blood alcohol content on a breath test.
Coffey was arrested on charges of third-offense operating while intoxicated, two counts of failure to notify an owner of property damage and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license.
Upcoming Events near Madison Far East
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- WIAA sectional semi final boys basketball: Sun Prairie, Mount Horeb advance
- DOJ: Man who supplied teen with heroin gets 10 years prison
- Planning committee votes to support Ashley Field, awaits board input
- Organization to hold school board candidate forum
- Police: Failing to stop for school buses to result in fines, demerits